Kathie Morrisey of The Character Corner spoke at our October meeting and shared practical information and suggestions any homeschool parent can use. Some of the takeaways from this meeting were:
- The important of teaching children to be obedient before teaching them academics. They need to learn to follow instructions and pay attention, so your first lessons should be in proper behavior.
- When you are struggling and feeling out of focus, remember WHY you began to homeschool. You are preparing your children for life, not just ‘doing school’.
- You can enjoy homeschooling more if you relax and make it a way of life instead of trying to create a traditional school classroom at home.
- It is especially important not to compare yourself, your family, or your homeschool to others. 2 Corinthians 10:12 teaches us “For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.“
- Don’t try to teach when you are frustrated or exhausted. Take breaks when you need to, and create margin in your life for refreshment of your mind, body, and spirit.
- Remember to keep God the focus of your life and your homeschool. Pray, read the Bible privately and together, and enjoy the blessing of homeschooling.
Following the Q&A , we had a time of fellowship with apple and pumpkin desserts so folks could chat, get information about local opportunities for homeschoolers, and find out more about PEACH.
Don’t miss another PEACH Meeting!
Join us next month on Thursday, November 12th, from 6:30pm to 9pm at Arrowbrook Baptist Church, 1124 Upper Bellbrook Road, Xenia OH 45385. All of our meetings are free and open to the public, so please share our meeting information with friends who are homeschooling or are interested in finding out more.